‘Ardbeg Ten Years Old is revered around the world as the peatiest, smokiest, most complex single malt of them all. Yet it does not flaunt the peat; rather it gives way to the natural sweetness of the malt to produce a whisky of perfect balance. Named World Whisky of the Year in 2008. It’s non chill-filtered with a strength of 46% ABV.’
Light gold in colour, this smoky peat-rich Whisky bursts with complex layers of sweet and savoury flavours. Smoky citrus fruit, espresso, smoked meat and fish, briney, it would be idea with salty Charcuterie platters, or freshly sucked oysters with a splash of Ardbeg on top, or mixed in any cocktail, my favourites include a Whisky Sour and an Ardbeg Caesar. Take it next level and mix it with some delicious Inniskillin Canadian Icewine as an “Inn Fashion”, an epic winter cocktail version of the Old Fashioned.
Here are a few terrific cocktails that benefit from a splash of Ardbeg:
– Your best sea salt mix*
– 1.5oz of Ardbeg Ten Years Old
– Splash of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce
– Your favourite Clamato juice
– Lime wedge
– Fresh herb to garnish (Thym, rosemary, etc.)
* You can add different ingredients to your salt: rub spices for meat, cane sugar, smoked paprika, etc.
1. Rim a glass with seasoned salt.
2. Add Ardbeg Ten Years Old and mix in a splash of Worcestershire, Tabasco, and the fresh horseradish.
3. Fill will your favourite Clamato juice, season with salt and pepper, then garnish with a lime wedge, fresh herb and Jalapeno pepper. You can also have some fun with it and garnish with bacon, pickles, shrimp, fried chicken. . .anything you want!
Inn Fashion Cocktail (an Icewine twist on a storied Whisky cocktail)
1½ oz. Inniskillin Vidal Icewine
1½ oz. Ardbeg Scotch Whisky
2 dashes of Angostura bitters
Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a rocks glass with ice. Stir to chill. Garnish with an orange twist. Seasonality: Winter or as an after-dinner summer drink Tasting Notes: A sweeter version of the age-old cocktail, but just as smooth
Ardbeg Whisky Sour
2 oz Ardbeg Whisky
½ oz fresh lemon juice
½ oz simple syrup
Egg whites of one egg
Lemon or orange slice and Maraschino cherry\
- To a cocktail shaker, add the liquid ingredients and shake vigorously.
- Add ice and shake again.
- Strain into a chilled sour glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with the lemon or orange slice and cherry.